Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Training Begins

Today I hit the nets on my own to get back into the swing of bowling in preparation for Sunday's game.

Over the course of an hour I bowled about 7 overs and afterwards felt happy with the session, taking a number of positives from it.

An immediate good sign was that I didn't appear to be rusty. My run up and action felt decent from the word go and the ball was coming out pretty well. For my first couple of stints I bowled a good line but was just struggling to keep a consistent length, with a couple of short but mainly full balls rearing their ugly head. However, my natural outswing looked OK with the old balls I was using, moving a little in the air and then the occasional one would straighten and zip off the seam. For my third stint I really knuckled down and focused on length and got it pretty much sorted out. By the end I was bowling pretty consistently on a good line and length, and often getting decent purchase out of what is a relatively dead pitch, using an old ball. I had one more stint to round out the session and I focused on bowling an over of good deliveries. I managed 6/8 which wasn't too bad.

The thing I'm probably most happy about, is that there weren't any REALLY wayward deliveries.

Couple of points that I took note of:
- Started to fall down in action. Staying tall while running in aided in staying tall in my action as well.
- Probably need to settle my run up down more, there is no need to charge into the crease and I know as a fact that I bowl a lot better with a steady run up.

So overall, happy with the session and I'm sure after Sunday I'll be glad that I made the effort. Body has pulled up OK as well. Not bad for my first bowl in a month.

Team training at the SCG nets begins next Tuesday, really looking forward to that.

I'll be back on Sunday to report on the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment